Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Kids aren't dumb

I write young adult stories so I always try not to talk down to my readers, but it's only now that I'm in the classroom that I realise how smart they are, especially when they think you don't know what you're talking about.

The amount of questions I've been asked just trying to gauge my knowledge of the subject is phenomenal. so, now I know, even though I write paranormal and horror that I really need to know my world and characters inside out or else the reader will not be satisfied.

How do you prepare to write? Do you know the world before you start or do you jump straight in?

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm getting better at preparing in advance. Worked out a lot of details before writing the second book.

Unknown said...

It frequently amazes me how often people think young adults are dumb. I think the problem is that often, older adults are not willing to take the time to get past the brash front many younger adults have put up - often as a defense. In the end, if you treat someone (of any age) as dumb, that's what they will portray.

Ellie Garratt said...

Young adults are not dumb! I hate it when I hear older people at work talking down to the younger staff.

As for preparing, I used to be a complete pantser. Now I a plotser, somewhere in the middle. For my next WIP I am outlining the setting in detail before I start writing. I'm hoping that will help with the first draft.

Ellie Garratt

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I try to get all my science right even though I write fantasy. I teach high school so I know not to underestimate kids. Kind of gives me hope for the future.

Anonymous said...

I used to be a panster--start with a character and just write. That left me with a lot of revision work. I outline now. It goes much easier. ;)

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Her Lullaby kit by Irene Alexeeva