Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Need for Organisation


First, I would like to say I am back (YAY!) After a frantic two week holiday over at the lovely Japan and then another two weeks of busy and stressful school preparation (which has really snuck up on me), I can finally say that I am back :D

And that leads me to today's post... Organisation, something I need really badly. This year I'm teaching 6 junior classes (7-10) and I'm still trying to keep up with my writing, which includes complete the rewrites for my Japanese novel as well as write a long overdue sequel for my finished novel, Shadow Embraced (plus there are all the other WiPs I have sitting on my shelf that I would like to finish)... see really busy, busy, busy.

I don't care what anybody says, everyone needs a little bit of organisation in their lives. If they didn't have any organisation they would get nothing done. This is how I'm going to achieve my organisation challenge this year:
  1. Set deadlines:
    Not something that difficult, but if you have a goal to finish that thing that needs finishing you'll be more motivated to achieve the deadline.
  2. Reward yourself:
    For each goal you achieve, give yourself something special. It doesn't have to be anything big. It could be something like, 'I won't have any chocolate until I finish the chapter' and then reward yourself with the chocolate (okay, so I'm a bit of a chocoholic... it's my weakness).
  3. Be realistic:
    Know what you can and cannot achieve. Don't say that you're going to finish writing a novel from beginning to end in one month if you're working a full-time job as well as tending to a very needy family. It just cannot be done (I know this as well).
  4. Prioritise:
    Some things in life are going to be more important than others. Don't neglect those that you really need to get done (like your job to edit a chapter).
  5. Don't forget you need to still relax:
    Sometimes you might need to admit defeat and learn to push back a deadline or just admit you're not going to achieve that goal. There's no need to constantly stress out, life's way too short to be working every waking hour. If you find yourself getting too stressed out, you may just need to go out (the movies is the perfect unwinding escape for me), and then come back and it will probably help you in the end, especially if you are stuck.
So, how is your organisation? Do you have any other tips for organisation?


1 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Yes! Become good at doing five things at once. That definitely helps.
And welcome back!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Her Lullaby kit by Irene Alexeeva